Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"I KNEW I BELONGED TO THE PUBLIC AND TO THE WORLD, NOT BECAUSE I WAS TALENTED OR EVEN BEAUTIFUL, BUT BECAUSE I HAD NEVER BELONGED TO ANYTHING OR ANYONE ELSE."
(Marilyn Monroe)

Speaking of Burberry: 

(Eddie Redmayne, frontrow at Burberry Prorsum Show FW2012/13)

    
Yesterday I had the opportunity to watch "My week with Marilyn".
 

The storyline:
Marilyn Monroe (Michelle Williams) travels to London to shoot the movie "The Prince and the Showgirl" together with Laurence Oliver (Kenneth Branagh). The tensed interaction on set between "The star who wants to become an actress and the actor who wants to become a star" is explained by the unpaid intern Colin Clark (Eddie Redmayne) whose memoir forms the basis of the story...

 
"My week with Marilyn"



"The Prince and the Showgirl"



I must admit being a huge fan of Michelle Williams. Movies like "Wendy and Lucy" or "Blue Valentine" spring to my mind. I admire her way of completely filling a role with all her physical presence, her naturalness and authenticity. But as Miss Monroe she couldn't convince me for one second. The naive bombshell is the total opposite of Michelle Williams. Maybe taking that challenge was the main reason for her playing the role, but the discrepancy seems obviously invincible at this point. Her character seems overacted and forced and is neither comperable to Michelle's previous roles nor to Marilyns in a way authenticly weird and enchanting personality. In spite of all the lavish make-up and body parts she couldn't really melt with her role. To be honest, I was seriously annoyed by her play.

Nevertheless I am still a big admirer of Michelle Williams as well as of Marilyn Monroe. Therefore I just ordered her biography, which I wanted to read for years anyway.

After a little research I settled for "The Biography" (1993) written by Donald Spato,
it is claimed to be the best.





A little something for our graphic design geeks - 
Marilyn Monroe's original letterhead from 1958:

(via letterheady)






No comments:

Post a Comment